Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Colette Sorbetto in Alexander Henry

About a month ago, this pattern was all the rage. It still is to some extent. Just google search "colette sorbetto" and a million links will pop up with variations on this super simple top.

I've never actually sewn a Colette pattern before although I do own the Crepe pattern. It's been collecting dust for about 5 months now as I haven't found just the right fabric for it. Yesterday I ordered some swatches from Mood so maybe next month I'll have the fabric of my dreams for this dress.

Anywho, when the Sorbetto pattern popped up, I was all excited about it. My only problem: I could not figure out what fabric to use. I don't have a large stash of fabric quite yet. The pattern only requires 1 1/2 yards of fabric but for the life of me, I could not decide on anything.

That's the most frustrating thing about me when it comes to sewing: I can be eager about a pattern all day long, but if I don't know what fabric to use, then it's dead to me.

So for the past few weeks, I ignored the Sorbetto and grew increasingly jealous of all the nice ones I saw online. I came across this fabric (out of print, of course...I always want what I can't have) on Etsy:

Brooke Poppies in bright by Alexander Henry


Immediately, I knew this would be perfect for the Sorbetto top. It's actually poplin, not quilting weight cotton---also perfect for a top. I could barely contain myself. The day after I received my fabric, I made the top (sans muslin--I walk on the wild side sometimes):


I used store-bought bias binding. I'm still a bit too lazy to make my own bias tape. That will change in the near future. According to my measurements I cut a size 14 (Colette pattern sizing is close to RTW) and added 1 1/2" to the length. The fit is great. The fabric is great. Me likey.

With this Colette pattern win, now more than ever, I want to make the Crepe. I think this fabric would be excellent as I'm in love with eggplant and various shades of it right now.

3 comments:

  1. Great fabric - cute top - I must join in with everyone else making this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very very nice. thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs