Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Inaugural Post

So, it's been a while since I've had a blog.

This will be my first blog dedicated to a hobby.

My mom taught me the basics of sewing when I was a kid. I never had much interest in it aside from the occasional patching of clothing or replacing of buttons. Four years ago, I wanted to give some friends a going-away present as they were moving out of state. I was broke but I was struck with a sudden burst of creativity fueled by a felt ninja I saw on Shana Logic. So I made a ninja. Then one ninja turned into many and so on.

I found that I enjoyed making felt critters but alas I was still to broke to buy a sewing machine.

Skip to last year....

I bought my very first sewing machine: a Brother LX-3125, one of cheap ones from Wal-Mart. I figured it would get me started. I didn't use it much last year (read: wedding planning) so it collected dust until around Christmas. I made a couple of Buttercup bags and read a lot of blogs. Not much else.

January and February I discovered BurdaStyle and attempted to make the Anda dress, which resulted in two big fails. I thought it would be a great idea to sew with knit since it was so cheap at Hancock. Bad idea.

 Bright pink knit. Bad idea.

Well, not too bad. It's just a shapeless, Pepto-pink tent. There needs to be more practice before jumping into knits. I should have started with cheap broadcloth.

Sometime around March something clicked. I kept at it, determined to make this sewing thing work. Everything I now know about sewing, I learned from google searches. I've come a long way since January. I hope to go further.

Since I know that I drive my husband crazy with my constant blathering about sewing, I created this blog.

We'll see how this goes.

1 comment:

  1. *flail* Yaaaaay! This is going to be so excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs