Sunday, August 7, 2011

Junia bag

I just finished my ithinksew Junia bag and matching Caroline clutch!

I am quite pleased.


The Junia pattern is straightforward and easy to follow. The pattern comes with two sizes. I made the smaller of the two. I like that the gusset comes to a point at the sides. This little detail takes a step above a regular tote bag. I used nylon purse straps that I bought from Joann, but they are also available online here. Initially I wanted to use leather handles but my fabric spending was already out of hand so I had to take it down a notch. The straps are lovely and were only $3.99 (on sale).

I used Pellon Craft fuse for the interfacing. It gets the job done. I'd like to try a woven interfacing one of these days as I've read that it wrinkles less.

For my fabric I chose cotton canvas (Ojai in taupe) by Alexander Henry. Clearly, I'm a fan. It's hard to find now (of course), but Etsy never lets me down. I used Kona cotton (in stone) for the lining.

Now, I'm sick of making bags. This is my third one in a week (well fifth if you count both clutches). I still have to make Kris' messenger bag, however, I'm going to take a break to start work on my Colette Crepe. I've just finished the muslin and I found the almost perfect brown poplin for it. Originally, I wanted some rich chocolate brown poplin from Mood Fabrics, alas I'm on a budget. If this dress was less than 5 yards of fabric, then it wouldn't be a big deal. Oh well. Joann had brown poplin and I had a 40% off coupon. That works for me.

I should probably clean my sewing area but after all this bag sewing; I'm in desperate need of a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs