Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Making progress.

It's so far, so good on the Simplicity 2246 shirtwaist dress. All I have to do now are buttonholes/buttons:

Not too shabby.

I used brown stretch poplin (the color is called "potting soil") from Joann. It wasn't my first choice, but I'm on a budget. I also had a 40% off coupon. I really wanted a brown dress. I'm a big fan of earth tones.

The pattern is great. I cut a size 18 with no alterations except adding pockets. After trying on the dress, I realized that I should have just made the bodice a 16 and graded to an 18 for the rest of the dress. The shoulders and bust area are a wee bit baggy. However, I do think it will look better with buttons.

Speaking of buttons, I almost had another meltdown last night at Joann. This dress requires ten 1/2" buttons. This dress is also a weird shade of brown (the photo makes it look normal) thus making it damn near impossible to find matching buttons. I like things to match. That's just how I am.

I wasn't looking for the exact same shade of brown for the buttons, but I wanted something close or at the very least, coordinating. I *finally* found some buttons, but only 8 of them. Only 8. I walked up and down that aisle for 15 minutes just to make sure I didn't overlook them. Damn you Joann. Damn you.

I briefly considered buying unfinished wood buttons and painting them to match but quickly came to my senses. That's just obsessive crazy talk.

Once I calmed down, I realized that fabric covered buttons would be my best bet. I found some online for cheap, now I have to wait for the next few days for their arrival.

Other than that, the dress was easy to put to together. The instructions were great (albeit a few typos here and there). Overall, I like it. I will probably make this dress again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs