Saturday, October 22, 2011
Tova! Tova! Tova!
I've always wanted a Wiksten Tova pattern. And by always, I mean like for the last 8 months. Every time they were for sale, I was broke. When I had the money, they were sold out. Earlier this month, I finally had money and the pattern was on sale at the same time. It was meant to be.
My initial plan was to make the Tova top in the plaid shirting I bought from Fabric Mart. I like Fabric Mart. Shipping was a bit annoying. Although I like flat-rate shipping, I don't think it should take a week to show up. Perhaps I'm just impatient ;)
The Tova pattern wasn't supposed to show up until after the 21st of this month, so it seemed perfect that it would take a while for my Fabric Mart order to show up. Three days later, my Tova pattern was in my mail box. Oh joy! Oh rapture!
I really, really, really wanted to start work on this shirt. I didn't want to wait for my fabric. I had some eggplant poly-cotton broadcloth and coral cotton broadcloth that I had purchased in Chicago. These fabrics were for my fall palette challenge although I still had no idea what I wanted to make with them.
I made the eggplant Tova first.
I had a couple of fit issues with this first one. Although my measurements were dead-on for the XL size, I soon realized, after trying it on, that the Tova pattern may have not been designed for ample boobage. Too bad that I didn't discover this tutorial on adding some room to the bust area.
So, for my next Tova (which was made immediately after finishing the first one), I used my coral broadcloth. I added 1/2" to the front and back pieces this time. There was less ease in the sleeves which I didn't think would be a problem until I tried it on.
The sleeves were too tight. I could still wear it, but the tightness of the sleeves got annoying after a while. It wasn't a total loss. Adding 1/2" to the front and back pieces did give my boobs space to breath. However, in hindsight, I probably should have only added about 1/4" instead. Of course, this didn't occur to me until after I made my third Tova, this time in plaid.
First of all, I LOVE this fabric. It's a smooth, lightweight shirting with just a bit of stretch. It's soft and presses with ease. Although it's lightweight, the shirting isn't sheer. I love it. I cut the placket, collar, and sleeve cuffs on the bias for some visual interest and to help break up the plaid. I also added 1/2" to the sleeves which relieved me of the tightness.The shirt was a bit boxy, so I added back darts.
Originally, I made it as a dress. I added 5 inches to the hem as I am tall and the dress pattern is actually only about tunic length. I tried it on and it looked like a muumuu. I tried to reconcile it. I tried to deny it. But yes, it looked like a muumuu. My husband agreed.
Because my body is kind of square and I lack actual waist definition, I can't really wear baggy or shapeless dresses without looking pregnant or like I'm wearing a muumuu. I've seen others wearing the Tova dress and it doesn't look baggy or muumuu. I think it's just me. Thus the dress became a shirt.
And because I just love the Tulip skirt, I made another:
Some how I screwed up and made the waistband too small. I still have enough fabric left to redo the waistband which is awesome. If not, I'd have to lose 15 pounds to be able to button it. I also plan on changing the buttons. I used poly trigger that I also purchased in Chicago.
I had no idea what trigger was or it's purpose until I found a random bolt of it while fabric shopping in Chicago. It's stiff and doesn't wrinkle and is perfect for this type of skirt. I may purchase more, maybe. This will not be my last tulip skirt.
The first two Tovas are a apart of my Fall Palette Challenge simply because they are the color that I chose for my palette. So that makes five things that I've completed for my Fall Palette Challenge. Eventually, I will hem that darn half-circle skirt.