Saturday, November 19, 2011

A sigh of relief.

So, turns out my wrist fail wasn't Carpal Tunnel after all, but a good old wrist sprain.

I'm doing much better now. I have to take it easy and take sewing breaks, but overall, I'm good. My days of marathon sewing are over now. That's a good thing because I was clearly over-doing it. I had become overwhelmed by all the projects that I felt I had to complete AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. At one point, I was sewing at least 7 or 8 garments (or bags) a month. Of course, I still haven't posted most of these projects. I will do it eventually. I promise

To get me back in the swing of things, I'm working on a simple dress. I was quite inspired by the Bon Voyage dress from Shabby Apple:


I love Shabby Apple designs but the prices are just a bit much. I refuse to pay $78 for a cotton poplin dress. Especially since I can make it myself.

I decided to use the combination of Kwik Sew pattern 3023 (view C) along with a pleated hem. I'm still working on it at the moment. Tomorrow I will work on the pleated skirt as the rest of the dress is complete. I'm using some espresso colored stretch poplin that I bought from Fabric Mart's poplin blow-out sale.

The poplin is good for $1.99 a yard. Anything more than that and I would be a wee bit pissed. It's thin and attracts lint and dog fur. My dress is currently covered in dog fur despite the fact that my dog hasn't been anywhere near me for hours (he's sleeping on his favorite blanket). The colors are great though. I ordered three different colors: red violet, espresso, and claret red.

I should have lined my dress but I was lazy. That's what slips are for ;)

Anyway, I also bought a new pattern that I'm genuinely excited about: the Darling Ranges dress pattern from Megan Nielsen. I saw the version by paunnet and I fell.in.love. I have the pattern in my possession (shipping was super fast) and now begins my search for fabric.

I like this one and this one. I'm leaning towards the second one because it's a U.S. seller and I won't have to wait a month (or pay $30 for faster shipping) for my fabric. I really like both.

Next week, I'll start work on my muslin and mull over more fabric ideas.

I'm so excited :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs