Sunday, December 4, 2011

Brainstorming: Handbags

I want this handbag:


Fossil Vintage Re-Issue Satchel



I cannot afford this handbag. Well, I could afford it, it just wouldn't be prudent. It's $188 on Zappos and $208 on Fossil. Just a little more than I'd like to spend right now. Of course, I've already checked ebay and it's still a bit more than I want to spend.

So, my cheapy brain has come up with an idea: I can make this bag. Not with leather, mind you. But with fabric. I could also use faux leather but honestly, I would prefer to use fabric. The only leather I would use would be for the handles. Those are easy to find and not too expensive.

I have some Alexander Henry floral fabric that would be perfect. I'm thinking of using Kona cotton in place of the leather. I also plan to omit the top zipper as I never use them on the handbags I already own.

I plan on drafting the pattern for this one myself. If it works out, I'll post it as my very first tutorial.

Another bag that I like and would like to own:

Tommy Hilfiger Canvas Travel Tote


This one is more reasonably priced but I can live without the Tommy Hilfiger logo. I don't really like the shape of the bag, but I what I really like is the canvas, webbing and leather handles. I could make something similar to that. I thought about using the Grand Revival Emma bag pattern and striped grosgrain ribbon. I already have plenty of canvas in my stash. I would use purchased leather handles on this one as well.

Aside from lusting after handbags, I've been working on the Colette Peony dress. I'm using the red-violet poplin that I bought from Fabric Mart for $1.99 a yard. I honestly like the poplin so far. The color is great. Although it is a bit on the thin side, I still like it.

I hope to finish it today.



























1 comment:

  1. Ooo I like making bags so look forward to any tutorials lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs