Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Looking forward to spring...

...already. Even though it's practically "spring" here in Austin...at least for the next week. This gets the gears in my head turning and planning for spring. It's always dresses, dresses, dress here. I want to break from this habit but it won't be happening any time soon.

First up, I'm working on my Colette Crepe. Remember my Crepe fail from last August? I got over myself. I don't know why I couldn't just draft a new facing to replace the lost one. I did that two days ago and so far, so good. I'm using some wonderful cotton lawn (black with white polka dots) courtesy of TexStyles here in Austin. The fabric is lovely and even more lovely to sew.

I had planned to use this fabric for McCall's 6503 view B, but while digging around in my fabric bin I came across my Colette Crepe muslin. I tried it on and damn, I must say, that it was a perfect fit. Why I freaked out so badly back in August I will never know. The only thing that I didn't enjoy was all the pieces involved---I underlined the dress since the lawn was pretty thin. Double the cutting table fun.

Hopefully, I will finish it by next week. I've also put in some work on my Darling Ranges dress muslin. I did my very first full bust adjustment on this pattern. There was no way it would fit otherwise. It's been tricky so far.

Finally, I want to make another shirt dress. I'm a wee bit obsessed. I came across this dress and now I must make another:

MaelleMadeByHand on etsy

I bought a vintage pattern very similar to this dress but I lack the patience to make all the necessary adjustments. I thought about combining patterns---perhaps the skirt from McCall's 6503 (view A gathered skirt) and the bodice of Simplicity 2403 (view A bodice with different sleeves). I want to use patterns that I have in the stash. I don't want to use Simplicity 2246 (view C) again (I'm not a fan of the collar). I think gray poplin or shirting would be perfect. If only I could find some that was good quality and reasonably priced.

That's it for now. I should have been in bed an hour ago.


5 comments:

  1. Neemie, I have been trying to psych myself up for the great drive to south Austin (I'm way, way NW) for a trip to TexStyles. From your lovely fabric find, it looks like that may have to be this weekend! I'm so glad it lives up to its reputation.

    Also, I can't wait to see your Crepe and Darling Ranges dresses. The FBA was a bit of a challenge on Darling Ranges for me, as well. I ended up having to move out the side seem, to true the bust dart lines, than add a waist dart to make up for it. Much trickier than normal, for sure! Good luck with it! I'm sure it will look awesome when you've finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm way NW as well so I don't go there as often as I would like...perhaps that's a good thing ;)

    It's a great store and worth the trip. Mark and Benson are super friendly and very helpful.

    Fabricker is opening next week so that's another option for local fabric stores. I'm excited since I work in the area so I won't have far to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neemie, you just made my whole month. Not only do we have a great fabric store I haven't visited, but we have another apparel fabric store opening? I'm over-the-top thrilled...and so jealous that you work in the same area as Fabricker! Though, perhaps it's best for my wallet that my intern hospital is farther north. ;) Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Neemie, I was just wondering what did you do with your dart on the darling ranges dress, I did a fba and cant seem to get the dart to lie flat, it pools fabric above it and i just don't know how to fix it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't been able to figure that out yet. My darling ranges dress has been in a crumpled heap on the floor for a while now. I got tired to trying to make it work. I had hoped the sewalong that Megan Nielsen hosted would shed some light on it, but nope. I've given up for now. Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs