Thursday, February 23, 2012

What to do?

I have acquired some pretty cotton lawn fabric and I have no idea what to do with them.

Both are by Lecien from the Memoire a Paris collection. I have three yards of the blue and four yards of the brown.

Lecien lawn available at Chadwick Heirlooms

Lecien lawn available at Chadwick Heirlooms

Both are beautiful in person. I've made a dress with lawn before, last year. I just never got around to taking a photo of it;  Kwik Sew 3856 (one of my all-time favorite patterns). This lawn gets softer with each wash. Although I love the Kwik Sew pattern with all of my heart, I don't want to make another one (as I've already made three).

So, what do I make? Dresses of course, but which ones? Nothing too complicated for sure. I also don't want anything too loose or baggy. McCall's 6503 came to mind but I'm having bodice issues with muslin. The bodice (bust area) was too baggy. I'm still working on it but I'm not in love with it anymore.

Combining the skirt of McCall's 6503 with the bodice of Simplicity 2217 seems like a good idea. My inspiration is the "Bird-less Garden Tour" Dress by Najah on Sew Weekly. I really, really like this dress.

Perhaps something like Simplicity 2444 or Simplicity 1873.

Simplicity 2444
Hmm. I can't decide. Thought of a Peony crossed my mind, but I have no desire to fiddle with that stupid bodice anymore. Although I'd love to start on something this weekend, I am fighting an eye infection. It's winning so far. This blog post took me over an hour to write.

Sigh.

3 comments:

  1. I think the 2444 would look lovely in the blue lawn! but maybe take it easy this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am leaning towards the 2444 in the blue - the other is more tailored-looking and needs a solid, imho.

    Sorry that you're having issues with fit that make you stop wanting to work on the dress. I'm commiserating with you - I stupidly didn't take the time to alter my Beignet pattern prior to cutting it out and it's almost done but I'm not loving the fit at all. I don't want it to go into the UFO pile, but I'm taking a break from it to get perspective. Sometime you just have to do that.

    Hope your eye is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like 2444 but I don't have enough of the blue lawn. I only have 3 yards and I believe the dress needs over 4. Also, the thought of doing a full bust adjustment on a bodice with 4 waist darts scares me a wee bit. I'm willing to buy more fabric and if someone could point me in the direction of a tutorial for such a bodice that would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs