Sunday, March 25, 2012

Kwik Sew 3856...thank you.

Not the best photo of me (minus my head), but here you go:


I love Kwik Sew 3856. It makes my heart dance. I used a polyester silky print from Joann. I usually abhor 100% polyester, but the print was so lively, I gave it a chance. It was much easier to work with than I imagined. Hardly any fraying, so swishing around (silky fabrics tend to do that), no puckering...nothing. If all the other silky prints at Joann weren't so atrocious, I would use them more often. 

I'm more of a solids kind of girl. It's rare that I'll find something besides a tiny floral print that I'll actually wear. To be honest, I'm shocked at this fabric choice. Bright colors, paisley and polyester? It's like I took a trip back to the 1970s. 

But I like this dress. I really, really like it.

Here are some pattern details, as I've never formally reviewed this pattern before:

source

  • I cut a size large. If you've never used a Kwik Sew pattern, you will notice that there are only five sizes: extra-small, small, medium, large and extra large. This is fine for the type of dress I made but is annoying if you try to make something more fitted. 
  • It's pretty roomy in the bust area, so I didn't need to do a full-bust adjustment. However, the surplice front does gap like crazy. I plan on going back and stitching it down. 
  • I made view A, the long version. I had to add 2 inches to the length as I am a wee bit tall. Not too tall, but tall enough. Even then, I had to make a super narrow hem, around 1/4" to get it to my ankles. 

Kwik Sew 3856 will probably find its way back to my sewing table in the future. I have a nice stash of some Anna Maria Horner voiles that would be perfect. This pattern has helped restore my dying sewing mojo and gave me a necessary confidence boost. 

My next project is a Cynthia Rowley pattern, Simplicity 1801. I have navy pique and moderately high hopes. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs