Sunday, April 8, 2012

Work in progress...

Honestly, this dress should be finished by now. I started it at the beginning of last month (perhaps the last week of February?) and I still have yet to finish the hem. Laziness has gotten the best of me.

Awkward pose

This is McCall's 6503, a dress that almost broke me. I could not stand the bagginess of the bust and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. It doesn't look that baggy on the model or the line drawings. However, I've seen quite a few versions pop up around the interwebs (feel free to google "McCall's 6503" for yourself) and all have the same issue. Not that they weren't cute, just a wee bit baggy in the bust.

Looks can be deceiving. For real.

I tried to reconcile the bagginess; ignore it and make the dress anyway. Nope. Couldn't do it. I tried a couple of suggestions: extend the gathering or make pleats in the shoulder. Neither really worked. Then one day, I looked at my pattern piece and folded it along gathering line/area (is that what's it called?).


Why didn't I think of this before?!

Genius. Simple. I could kick myself for not thinking of it sooner.  It worked! I loved not having to do some kind of serious bust adjustment to make the damn thing fit. I also had to shorten the waist (the long horizontal fold) as I'm short-waisted.

Everything else about the pattern was simple and relatively easy. I made View B but with the gathered skirt. For the fabric, I used Lecien cotton lawn purchased here. The dress is underlined in light blue cotton/poly batiste. Instead of the regular zipper, I used an invisible one. I really like invisible zippers. They are easier to install and aren't nearly as headache-inducing thanks to the purchase of the metal invisible zipper foot for my sewing machine.

If I hadn't spent the evening finishing the hem on my McCall's 5801 shirt dress, I would have finished this dress. The McCall's 5801 dress was another dress I almost finished two months ago except for the hem. A post on that dress will pop up later this week.

My Colette Crepe is lying in a crumpled heap, silently praying for the day when I pay attention to it once more. I have more than the hem to finish (under-stitching, tacking down facings, etc) and I probably won't get to it this month. Poor dress. It's so cute and polka-dotty. Quite a shame that laziness has once more gotten the best of me.

5 comments:

  1. Love this and have added the pattern to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress fits beautifully and oh so pretty. Isn't it great when you finally have an aha moment and it works out great. Sometimes a little time away from the project brings fresh eyes. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never really noticed this pattern until now. I may have to snag this one myself after seeing your lovely project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! Thanks for the super helpful picture of your bust-bagginess adjustment - I have this pattern but was worried about the reports of the giant bust. I'll definitely be making that adjustment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress is beautiful on you and I love the fabric. Thanks for explaining your fitting process. This is helping me so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs