Thursday, May 17, 2012

Moving right along.

New York did not wow nor disappoint. It was the same as I left it in 2009. Except this time, I came back with a suitcase full of fabric. The Garment District made my life complete. I spent about $200 and came home with around 40 yards of fabric fun. Not all polyester either. I have lawn, sateen, rayon challis, gauze, shirting and a mystery cotton blend thrown in for good measure. I didn't pay over $6 a yard for any of it. Bless you Metro Textiles. Bless you.

During my usual online fabric window-shopping, I've stumbled upon at least three of my fabrics on various sites going for more than twice what I paid. Tsk tsk. I won't name names. People have to make a living somehow.

I'd post photos but my camera is packed away and my phone won't do the fabric justice. It's moving time for the next couple of weeks. Not a fan of moving, but the move means I'll finally get some sewing space.  At the moment, I occupy the dining table. It's messy in this little corner, let me tell you.

I seriously tried to start working on a dress despite the fact that I have to start moving stuff on Saturday. I couldn't help myself. I have a giant stack of fabric just begging to made into something beautiful. I bought the Angie dress pattern by Sis Boom. Really cute and really simple, my kind of pattern:

Source
The neck and arms are finished with bias tape. It has an elastic waist. Pockets! These are most important.

I've already made my muslin of the bodice. It fits with just a few tweaks. Nothing major. I can see myself modifying this bodice and using it again. It's the first bodice that has fit in a while without pissing me off to no end (I'm looking at you Darling Ranges and Colette Peony).

Speaking of Darling Ranges and Colette Peony, I've given up on both of these patterns. I can't make the huge f-ing dart on the Darling Ranges bodice work. With the Peony, I discovered that my shoulders are a size 16 while the rest of me hovers around 14 and I still have to do a FBA to make it work. It's too much work. Too many muslins. I quit for now.

I did make the Colette Hazel dress without a hitch. Again, once I find my camera, I'll post a picture.

That's it for now. I need to sleep. Did I mention that I'm also working over-time? Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Look forward to seeing the Colette dress and fabric. Ooo dont ya just love fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should probably just send me your Colette Peony pattern :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs