Saturday, July 28, 2012

I want to make this dress.

I have fallen in love with a vintage dress pattern.

Vogue 9019

I love View B with the short sleeves. I found the pattern on Etsy, but of course neither of the patterns I found were close to my size. I'm not adept at pattern grading. To be honest, I don't possess the patience necessary to grade a vintage pattern. I have broad shoulders and a wide waist. Vintage patterns were not designed for my rectangular body type. Just thinking of all the possible fit alterations including pattern grading makes me nauseous.  Perhaps one day I will feel differently. Today, not so much.

Anywho, the thought of combining a couple of patterns I already own crossed my mind.

I have this out-of-print New Look pattern that I could use for the collar piece (View D):


New Look 6831

That part was easy enough. Trying to find the right dress is proving to be much more difficult ('cause I'm picky).  The first dress that comes to mind is one from Simplicity:


Simplicity 1810

I like that it already has pleats at the shoulder, which can easily be changed into gathers to mimic the Vogue pattern. The dress has a bit more shape and is really cute (seen here and here). I like it but then I don't. I'm not quite sure why.

Another idea is Simplicity 1796:


Simplicity 1796

Finally, Salme patterns has a dress pattern that could work:


Pussy Bow Dress

I'm still on the fence about the whole thing. I'll continue my pattern research, perhaps I'll find something closer to the vintage pattern. Perhaps I'll just break down and grade the vintage pattern. Nah. I'll keep looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs