Monday, July 9, 2012

Start. Start. Quit. Start something else.

I've been in a bit of a sewing funk lately.

I find myself really enthusiastic about planning a project. In fact, my project notebook is full of fabric swatches and ideas just waiting for their chance to become reality.

As soon as I start cutting the fabric, I begin to lose interest. I try to maintain it by taking a break and coming back later but that hasn't really worked. I'm not sure why I'm having such a tough time.

Instead of trying out new patterns, I decided to use patterns that I've sewn before. I did a bit a tweaking but nothing major as far as alterations go, in the hopes that an "easy" project will get me motivated. I decided to go with the Lisette Traveler dress. It's simple, the fit is nice and I should be able to finish it in a reasonable amount of time.

This has not been the case. I cut it out and immediately lost interest in sewing it. In fact, I used some of my Liberty Tana lawn. And just...no. It's not happening. My UFO pile is growing steadily each week.

I think I may be a bit overwhelmed. I have so.many.ideas. that I will never have enough time or money to complete them. It doesn't help that I constantly compare my sewing efforts with every sewing blog in the blogosphere. I long to make something simple and demure and photographed beautifully with instagram.

Sigh.

My current project is my fourth Wiksten Tova in this Lecien lawn:

Source

All I have left are the sleeves and collar. I could have finished it tonight. But no, it was not to be. I just felt so blah.

Perhaps tomorrow will be better.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear that. Why don't you set yourself a mission whereby you must complete a UFO at least once a month. Why not try a bit each day, so it does not feel overheming, ie one day cut out the pattern, next day transfer markings and so on. So you are only doing a bit but still moving along with the project.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs