Monday, July 30, 2012

This shirt dress thing is getting out of hand.

My current shirt dress obsession:

Land's End Woven Pique Shirt dress

Some times I wish I could just buy the things that I want instead of obsessing over how to create them myself. This dress is sooo pretty. It's $90. I find that ridiculous. It's just a cotton shirt dress. It's not worth $90. Sorry, it's not. I've ordered dresses from Land's End before and was unimpressed with the quality for the money spent.

Instead of trying to budget $90 for a dress, I'm going to make my own. Deciding on a shirt dress pattern is the least of my concern at the moment. To achieve this look, I would combine the bodice of Vogue 8829 with the skirt (shortened, of course) from McCall's 5801.


Vogue 8829 (bodice) + McCall's 5801 (skirt)


Finding just the right fabric is my problem.  I want a shade of plum-meets-eggplant-meets-aubergine in poplin, or pique or heck, even broadcloth. Mood Fabrics has an eggplant poplin that may work. I already have a swatch and the price is right ($10 a yard).


Cotton Poplin from Mood Fabrics

It should be easy, right? I don't know if I like this shade of eggplant. The fabric has a sheen to it and could make the dress too dressy to wear to my super-casual job. Also, the fabric is really stretchy. I'd have to take extra steps (fusible stay tape) to tame it.  Hmm. I'll keep looking. We'll see how this goes.

In other news, I've acquired this beautiful cotton lawn and I have no idea what to do with it:

Robert Kaufman "Sofia"

Suggestions? And no mention of maxi dresses. They make me look pregnant. That's not the look I'm going for.

5 comments:

  1. I think that lawn would look gorgeous in either a Colette Crepe dress or even a Sewaholic Cambie dress...but then again, I'm currently obsessed with both those dresses! Beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about the Cambie dress...it's a marvelous suggestion. I will check it out. Thanks!

      I'm still working on my Colette Crepe, actually started it a year ago. It's cute but I don't think I'd ever make it again. Those facings took a year off of my life.

      Delete
  2. I have an anthro shirtdress in that exact colour and I do wear it a lot. Good luck, I think it would look fabulous. I'm not sure about the lawn, maybe a cute little top depending on how much of it you have? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 4 yards of the lawn. I could always use a cute top though. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  3. I really like the sheen of that poplin. I bet it would be veeeeerrry pretty! As for the lawn, I see some sort of top with big blouse-y sleeves. Good luck with both projects!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs