Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Notes on sewing

Ever since I was 11 years old, I've had some form of a diary or journal. Honestly, I was obsessed with blank notebooks. Most of them contained scribbles and notes about all sorts of random things. This love of scribbling in blank books led me to my current obsession: the sewing notebook.

Sure, I could take photos of patterns and store them in my phone for reference. I could just scribble a grocery-type list of notions for when I visit Jo-ann or Hancock Fabrics. I tried both of these methods. I ended up with an alarming amount of post-its stuck to the bottom of my purse.

I needed something a bit more tangible and travel-friendly, with room for swatches. I stopped by Half Price books and here's what $5 got me:

sexy.

I love having a sewing notebook. I'm able to write down ideas whenever inspiration strikes. I also plan future projects:

handy.

I printed out line drawings from pattern websites and wrote down all the fabric requirements. This was really helpful when I shopped in the Garment District back in May.

It's also handy for things like button guides. Math isn't my forte, so trying to figure how many inches equals 2 cm was a pain in the ass. With my button size conversion chart, I can figure it all out with relative ease:


Yes, I do need a chart this basic.


And there's even a pocket in the back for swatches:

awesome.

Moleskine notebooks work as well. I was being cheap the day I bought this notebook. It serves it's purpose and keeps me organized. I'd be lost without it.

So, how do you keep your sewing notes and ideas organized?


2 comments:

  1. I keep a notebook, too, although mine isn't as glamorous as yours! :) I try to keep a master list of projects and then do a monthly list of to-dos. When I make the monthly list, I make sure I've got name of the pattern written down and either a description of the fabric(s) or swatches. I'm not always good with remembering the swatches. When I'm sewing for my kids, I try to do wardrobes or mini-wardrobes, so I often make a visual list (I use Ottobre patterns so I can cut and paste from their PDF lists of line drawings) and then staple it in the notebook, along with notes for fabrics for each garment or swatches.

    I always take it with me when I fabric shop, just in case I have a need for buttons or thread or whatever. Having the list makes it easier to know what I'm working on and might need in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea! Right now all of my ideas are in my purse, desk and elsewhere. I might try using a journal, this well help me keep all sewing 'things' in one place.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs