Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sewaholic Cambie

So, last month I finished my Sewaholic Cambie dress. I had planned on taking photos to accompany my post/pattern review, but I never got around to taking more photos. Oh well.

Anyway, here's my pattern review:

Fabric: I used some cotton lawn I found on Etsy. The fabric is "Sofia" by Robert Kaufman. It's OOP and I had been looking for this particular print for about a year before I came across it on Etsy.

I love this fabric. I love the colors. I'm a sucker for floral prints. However, with floral prints you always run into a problem: pattern placement. My dilemma with this fabric was figuring out how to place the bodice without having the flowers right over my boobs.

I used poly/cotton batiste for the lining. I should really invest in a bolt of this stuff since I always use it for lining. I also added some crocheted lace to the lining hem.

Pattern and Instructions: This was my first time using a Sewaholic pattern. I've stayed away from them in the past because they are designed for pear shapes. I'm not a pear. I'm more of a rectangle. I had no desire to figure out the pattern alterations needed to make one of these patterns work. However, when I bought this fabric I knew I wanted to make a dress. A commenter on a previous post suggested the Cambie pattern and I decided to give it a go. 

The pattern was well drafted and the instructions were clear. I would have been a bit confused when it came to attaching the lining had it not been for the tutorial on the Sewaholic blog. This tutorial was very, very helpful. Now I attach all my linings this way.

Sizing and Alterations: As previously stated, I'm not pear-shaped. My shoulders are fairly broad as well. Also, I had no idea how the sizing worked for this pattern. My measurements fell in between sizes so I figured I would make a muslin of the larger size and go from there. I made view B with the gathered skirt. The gathered skirt would keep me from having to make a lot of hip alterations.

I shortened the bodice by one inch. It could stand to be shortened another 3/8" - 1/2". I pinched off a dart on the neckline to prevent some gaping. I didn't make any other alterations.

Conclusion: I would make this pattern again, probably view A with the a-line skirt. I'm very happy with the results. I bought the Renfrew top to try it out. Sewaholic patterns are awesome.

Friday, September 14, 2012

Hard at work.

The tiny pattern weights that I purchased at Hobby Lobby are worthless.

My husband and I never buy canned goods because we hardly ever cook.

I'm cutting out the lining (bemberg!) for my pencil skirt (from Gertie's new book, of course) and using pins simply will not do.

I looked around our apartment for something to use as pattern weights.

Pimm's is my favorite

I guess these will have to do for now ;)
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs