Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sewaholic Cambie

So, last month I finished my Sewaholic Cambie dress. I had planned on taking photos to accompany my post/pattern review, but I never got around to taking more photos. Oh well.

Anyway, here's my pattern review:

Fabric: I used some cotton lawn I found on Etsy. The fabric is "Sofia" by Robert Kaufman. It's OOP and I had been looking for this particular print for about a year before I came across it on Etsy.



I love this fabric. I love the colors. I'm a sucker for floral prints. However, with floral prints you always run into a problem: pattern placement. My dilemma with this fabric was figuring out how to place the bodice without having the flowers right over my boobs.

I used poly/cotton batiste for the lining. I should really invest in a bolt of this stuff since I always use it for lining. I also added some crocheted lace to the lining hem.

Pattern and Instructions: This was my first time using a Sewaholic pattern. I've stayed away from them in the past because they are designed for pear shapes. I'm not a pear. I'm more of a rectangle. I had no desire to figure out the pattern alterations needed to make one of these patterns work. However, when I bought this fabric I knew I wanted to make a dress. A commenter on a previous post suggested the Cambie pattern and I decided to give it a go. 

The pattern was well drafted and the instructions were clear. I would have been a bit confused when it came to attaching the lining had it not been for the tutorial on the Sewaholic blog. This tutorial was very, very helpful. Now I attach all my linings this way.




Sizing and Alterations: As previously stated, I'm not pear-shaped. My shoulders are fairly broad as well. Also, I had no idea how the sizing worked for this pattern. My measurements fell in between sizes so I figured I would make a muslin of the larger size and go from there. I made view B with the gathered skirt. The gathered skirt would keep me from having to make a lot of hip alterations.

I shortened the bodice by one inch. It could stand to be shortened another 3/8" - 1/2". I pinched off a dart on the neckline to prevent some gaping. I didn't make any other alterations.



Conclusion: I would make this pattern again, probably view A with the a-line skirt. I'm very happy with the results. I bought the Renfrew top to try it out. Sewaholic patterns are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs