Saturday, March 23, 2013

Finished Project: New Look 6180

Yay! I finished something and took a picture. I'm quite proud of myself.

This is New Look 6180, a pattern that I would have continued to ignore had it not been for Mimi G.


New Look 6180 view A

See the pattern envelope:

Frumpy.

When it was released, I took one look at it and thought "Ugh. Never going to bother with that." I'm also  not a fan of elastic waists on dresses and usually ignore patterns with them. The dress looked a bit frumpy. I admit, I thought the line drawing looked a bit frumpy too.



Then I saw Mimi G's version and I had to make it. You mean that frumpy dress pattern actually turns out to be a fantastic shirt dress?!  I want to make it in green gingham just like this dress from Gap:

Gingham tie-waist shirtdress

I also want to make it in a floral lawn and perhaps even madras. I love this pattern so much. My love of shirt dresses has been well documented on this blog. This dress could be The One

I checked the finished measurements first before cutting anything out. There is an alarming amount of ease in this pattern. I highly recommend checking the measurements before you start. Usually my measurements fall around a size 18/20 in New Look patterns. This time around, I cut a size 16. The fit is perfect. It's relaxed without being baggy.

The skirt is full with pleats and has a slightly A-line shape. It's very flattering without being poofy. I made view A but made the skirt length about half-way between views A and C. I finished the hem with a hem facing. I left off the pockets. Boob pockets are a no-no for me.

The fabric is from Hancock Fabrics, found in the clearance/value fabric section. I think it was 60% off and I bought it for around $3 a yard. The bolt end read "end-on-end shirting" which was a poly/cotton blend. This fabric is lightweight and soft. I love it. I wish I could find more of it.

The instructions were clear and easy to follow. Really easy all around. I have no complaints whatsoever.  I will make this again. And again. And again.

1 comment:

  1. I see what you mean, the dress does look rather frumpy on the pattern packet. Your version doesn't however! I think sometimes you just have to go with it and hope that if it turns out unflattering you can fix it somehow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs