SEARCH

Loading...

And they were all yellow.

Sunday, May 5, 2013

I was in dire need of something yellow. Although yellow is my all-time favorite color, I haven't made a yellow dress since Vogue 8645 (almost two years ago!). I have some butter yellow linen-look fabric slated for a future Cambie but this yellow pin dot lawn called out to me first. 

I wasn't sure what dress pattern to use, but I was sure that I wanted something simple. I would've loved to make the Colette Peony, but the bodice is terrible---there, I said it. I had such fitting woes, that I've contemplated tearing the bodice pattern into shreds. The Darling Ranges dress pattern inspires the same amount of hatred but that's a story for another time.

I knew that I wanted a bodice with a boat/bandeau neckline and cap sleeves, so I sought out a pattern. I bought Butterick 4386 with the hopes of trying out a sheath dress pattern. I made a muslin of the dress and the top fit so well that I decided to make it as a separate bodice.



Next, was the skirt selection. I tried it with the Peony skirt but I used the wrong size and it didn't quite work out. Instead, I used the flared skirt from Butterick/See & Sew 4957, an oop pattern that I stumbled across a few months ago. I'm still not sure how I found out about it, but I'm glad I did. You can still find it on ebay. I made the dress (not blogged) and liked it, but the bodice didn't have waist darts. But it was a perfect match for my Butterick 4386 bodice.

I cut a size 18 for the shoulders, sleeves and bust and graded down to a size 16 for the waist. I used a size 20 for the skirt---the finished waistline measurement was the same as the size 16. I used a hem facing for the dress and a tiny baby hem for the lining.



The yellow pin dot lawn was practically see-thru. I thought about underlining it, but summer will be here and it will be too hot to wear. I decided to fully line the dress but this time I used pongee (also called Posh Lining on the Joann website) instead of my usual cotton/poly batiste. For something that is 100% polyester, it sure does breathe well and was an excellent compliment to the cotton lawn.

Never put a Kate Spade bag on the ground

I love this dress. It was an easy make and perfect for the beautiful weather here in Austin this weekend. I think I may use this bodice again but with a pleated skirt next time. I'm also in dire need of something pleated.

2 comments:

  1. The fit looks great, love the colour too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The dress looks nice on your dressform, but just springs to life on you! The fit is really perfect in the bodice and I love the belt. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger