SEARCH

Loading...

When two patterns collide: Vogue 8363 and Butterick 4386

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Back in April, I momentarily became obsessed with Vogue 8511. This lovely out-of-print and impossibly hard-to-find pattern (like Simplicity 2591) made me jump for joy. Of course, I had to have it. Of course, I could not find it. This made me sad.

A week later while cleaning out some of my favorites on etsy, I stumbled across this pattern: Vogue 8363. Six pencil skirt variations, one of which is the exact same skirt as Vogue 8511. This made me so very happy.

Vogue 8511/Vogue 8363 View F

I wasn't too concerned with the bodice being an exact match with Vogue 8511. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of princess seams. Instead, I used my trusty bodice, Butterick 4386. This bodice is officially my TNT bodice pattern.



It wasn't much work to combine the two patterns. I had to take in the waist a bit on the bodice. I moved the darts on the back skirt closer to the center back so they would line up with the bodice darts. I also lengthened the back skirt darts by 1/2". I also decided to make it a v-neck as I have so few of those in my closet.

View of back darts


For my fabric, I used some cotton stretch chambray that I picked up at Hancock Fabrics. This was another clearance/value fabric section purchase for about $4.98 a yard. I love finding nice fabric for cheap.



The dress is unlined and I finished off the neckline with self-drafted facings. Very easy.


I loved how this worked out. I have plans for another one but not sure of the fabric yet. I'm thinking linen but we'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Nice frankenpattern! This is what I like about sewing. You can adapt anything to your desire. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah so cute, I am about to start making 8363 for a friend, but she wants the white pictured option with the frill! <3 You can keep up with my makes on www.facebook.com/NerdgasmUK

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger