(Minor panic ensued)
After tearing apart my sewing room, and still not finding the cable, I decided to use the camera on my phone for photos. Bad idea. There wasn't enough daylight left and they all came out dark even with the flash. Sigh. I called Best Buy to find out about a replacement only to learn that I could only get one online. Sigh. I perused the Best Buy website and realized that the solution to my problem would be a SD card reader (something that I should have owned already). Quick trip to Best Buy and $20 later, here's my review. Finally.
As mentioned in this post, I had a few concerns with the Hawthorn pattern. The waist dart caused me the most headaches. Waist darts are usually the cause of much sewing angst as they tend to be pointy, bulky and not very flattering. I made three muslins of the original Hawthorn pattern (two bodice and one full dress). I tried redrafting the darts. Didn't work. I also tried splitting the waist dart and rotating one to the bust. Didn't work. I went according to the finished measurements yet the bust seemed to be a bit baggy. Also the back neckline was a bit too low and just a little too wide.
Rather than toss this pattern to the side, I came up with an idea. I could just use my Butterick 4386 bodice (which I have now used 5 times) and modify it to resemble the Hawthorn bodice. I would have darts that I know already fit. It would be easy.
Well not exactly easy, but not nearly as complicated as trying to make the Hawthorn bodice fit. So, I altered my Butterick 4386 bodice. I started by drawing a line 5/8" from center front and tracing off the neckline and placket from the Hawthorn pattern. A tweak here, a tweak there and I got it to fit. My apologies for not having pattern pics.
The fabric is a flocked dot cotton from Joann. This is yet another Joann fabric that is actually 100% cotton (as stated on the bolt) but on the website it's listed as cotton/rayon.
|Collar close up|
- Changed the collar to one piece. Three pieces just seemed excessive especially with all the grading that would be involved.
- Used a snap at the waistline inside of a hook and eye. Snaps rule.
- Skipped the sleeve cuff in favor of a hem.
- Sewed a narrow hem on the skirt using the Colette tutorial. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have used bias tape to finish the hem. It's cleaner and easier.
- Added inseam pockets. I used the Hazel pocket.
Getting the bodice to fit was the most challenging part of this make. I like the dress but it's not quite love yet. I've made another one (just in need of buttons) but that will be it for a while. I love shirt dresses more than anything else but I'm on the fence about this one. Perhaps its the collar. Maybe it's the skirt. Not sure.
|Front close up|
|My hair: gotta love that Texas humidity.|
Oh and here's a peek at Hawthorn #2. I'm too sleepy for buttons. They will have to wait until morning.