Friday, October 11, 2013

Lining indecision

So, I'm chugging along with my Burda 7347 trench coat. Things are going quite well despite a hiccup here and there. The issues I have encountered have been due to Burda's sometimes vague instructions. But I knew this going in, so I can't really complain about it. Burda pattern instructions assume you already know how to sew fairly well, so they skip out on things that you should already have in your knowledge base (stay-stitching, notching curves, etc).

Today, I plan on tackling the collar, front facings and possibly the sleeves if I don't burn out later this afternoon. Sunday (tomorrow is Ikea day), I will start work on the lining. This is where indecision has placed itself firmly in my sewing room. I purchased my lining (a SUEDEsays polyester charmeuse) from Walmart for $5 a yard. I love it. I'm on a tight budget for the next couple of months, so anytime I come across a deal I jump on it.

Now, I want to add some kind of detail to the lining/facing. Perhaps piping. Perhaps grosgrain ribbon. Not sure. I've seen piping in a number of coats and jackets. It's cute. I have a Target Merona trench coat that has burgundy grosgrain ribbon around the lining/facing. Side note: My Target trench coat is what inspired me to sew my own. Even with it's poor construction and shoddy topstitching, it was originally $50+ (I got it on clearance for around $20). Surely, I could make something better than that. Anyway, I made up two samples to help me decide whether piping or ribbon will adore the interior of my coat:

Ribbon (left)/Piping (right)


Still not sure. I'm leaning towards piping but I think the ribbon is something you don't see as often. Hmm. And yes, I went traditional with the color of my coat fabric. It's a poly/cotton twill from Joann (I had a coupon). I like my choice so far.

So, what do you think: ribbon or piping?

6 comments:

  1. You're right, I don't think I've seen ribbon used like that before.Can I be awkward and choose piping but in the coral colour - it goes so nicely with the lining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be an excellent idea. I didn't find any coral piping at the fabric store :(
      I can always make my own, but I'm already tired of this coat. I do plan doing a google search for some, maybe I'll get lucky :)

      Delete
  2. I love the piping idea, can't wait to see the finished trench!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will the piping/ribbon go around the back facing as well? If it will, one thing to consider is if the piping will create a visible 'bump' that can be seen from the outside. Ribbon would be flatter, but my preference is the piping. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it will go around the back facing. I hadn't thought about the piping creating a bump. I will have to take that into consideration. Thanks for mentioning it.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs