Sunday, November 3, 2013

Coat mini update

So, there has been much progress on my coat project. The muslin is about complete. I want to shave just a bit more off the shoulders, about 1/4". I went down to a size 16 from my original size 18 but the shoulders were still a tad too broad (you were correct Meigan). This almost never happens with other patterns. Usually I have to go up a size in the shoulders.  I also added length to the waist, skirt and sleeves.

Anywho, since I'm fairly satisfied with the fit of my muslin, I've started with daunting task of ordering swatches. I plan to stick with jewel tones (thanks for the suggestion Mrs. Smith), with my favorite colors being shades of jade and emerald green. There's also some mustard yellow coating that I'm slowly falling in love with. Of course, every time I come across the perfect fabric, there's only one yard left. Argh. But the search continues. Deciding on the fabric is the easy part of this process.




In addition to fabric, I've brainstormed ideas of details I would like to add to the coat. Although McCall's 6442 has wonderfully swishy skirt and hood, it is a bit plain. I'm thinking welt pockets (with or without flap) would add some flair:

Aragon Trench Coat by PPQ London

Orla Kiely Heavy Wool Trench Coat

I've never sewn welt pockets before, but I have made zipper pockets for purses. From what I gleaned from the tutorials, the process is fairly similar. Of course, there be will plenty of practice runs beforehand. Belt loops too, as they are essential. Then there's the question of whether or not to topstitch. Any suggestions?

I've created a Pinterest board with all of my coat ideas if you'd like to take a look: Coat Sewing Ideas.

That's about it for now. I have decided to rework the infamous Zinnia skirt. So far, so good. Hopefully, there will be a post about it next week.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear your muslin is coming along. I'd consider top-stitching especially if your fabric is quite thick. The top-stitching will help compress the edges and make them look more crisp and pressed.

    Good luck choosing your fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs