Thursday, December 26, 2013

Top 5 things that made sewing awesome in 2013


 I've seen a lot of Top 5 lists pop up lately. Figured that I may as well toss my hat into the ring. My list is a bit different. Instead of five things that I made, I want to post five things that made sewing awesome for me this year. This includes books, techniques, patterns, fabric, notions, or even a new blog.




In no particular order:


TOP 5 THINGS THAT MADE SEWING AWESOME IN 2013


1. Wawak.com

I've seen this site mentioned on quite a few blogs. Never thought to order from it. Honestly, I took one look at the site and was overwhelmed. I did not have the patience to sort through all that. But when I made my first coat, I needed shoulder pads and sleeves heads for cheap. In walked Wawak and my life was forever changed. I bought a 10 pack of sewing machine needles for 89 cents. Needless to say, I won't buy notions from Joann or Hancock Fabrics ever again.

2. Ponte knit

I know that I haven't blogged my ponte knit creations (there are 4) yet, but I will. Thanks to Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fantanic) expounding on the joy that is ponte knit, I gave it a try. Best decision ever. I usually abhor wearing knits (as most tend to be cheapy, thin jersey knit). Ponte (or ponte roma) is heavier and less clingy. I made two wrap dresses with it this year and both feel like I'm wearing a comfy bath robe all day. Another Win.

3. TNT bodice pattern

After much trial and error, I finally have a TNT bodice pattern (modified from a dress pattern). Butterick 4386 was a lifesaver. I've used this bodice pattern six times this year.

4. Stitch Witchery

Holy cow. How I missed this notion before is beyond me. I use it for everything all the time.


5. The Busy Woman's Fitting Book by Nancy Zieman

Although I bought this book 2 years ago, I used it the most this year. This book shows to how easily make basic fit adjustments (add sleeve width, hip adjustments, etc) without pulling your hair out. All adjustments are made using the Pivot and Slide technique. The book is out-of-print but you can find it on Amazon. I found my copy at Half-Price Books.


Well, that's it for now. Monday I will post my Top 5 Makes of 2013 and my sewing goals for 2014. I have three makes that I need to photograph and blog before I can make my Top 5 list.


4 comments:

  1. This is a great list Neemie!! See. Now I have to buy stitch witchery! Now!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I love checking out new sources.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I discovered the awesomeness of Wawak this year too! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs