Friday, January 3, 2014

Cuckoo for Outerwear

So yeah, I've been up to my eyeballs in outerwear lately. I made my first trench coat muslin. It looks promising but needs some adjustments. I will cut out muslin #2 sometime today. The only tricky pattern feature is the french dart. Not very experienced with french darts--I believe this is my first. Hopefully all will go well with muslin #2 so that I can start work on my trench once my fabric arrives on Saturday.

For now I'm already brainstorming my next outwear adventure. For my fourth go with outwear, I want to make an unlined, military-style jacket. Like this one from Old Navy:

Women's Military-Style Jacket

I bought a jacket similar to this one (also from Old Navy) a few years ago. It's cute but the sleeves are way too short. This is why Old Navy and I do not get along. Every long-sleeved shirt, jacket, dress, etc has the shortest f-ing sleeves on the planet. I don't have freakishly long arms or anything. Old Navy sleeves just never fail to stop 2-4 inches above my wrist.

But I digress. The pattern search has begun. There are a few military-style jacket patterns out there (most of them Burda). Some of them are great. Some look cheesy. Some appeared in Rhythm Nation. I want to avoid that look.

Kwik Sew 3534 view A might be just the jacket I want. At least it's close enough.


Kwik Sew 3534 view A



I think an olive twill would be best. Perhaps even gray. I'm also thinking anorak snaps instead of buttons. Although I say I want it unlined, I may change my mind. I've become quite a fan of linings lately.

Well, back to work on the trench. Any military jacket pattern suggestions are welcome.


2 comments:

  1. I'm SURE the Kwik Sew pattern probably has better instructions and is superbly drafted...Simplicity 2153 has similar features though, just as another option.

    I want to do at least one outerwear piece this year myself.

    Can't wait to see the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about making myself something similar this spring, but I call these Safari Jackets! Given that I have 2.5 years worth of Burda magazines I'm probably going to use a pattern from one of those. I'm leaning toward this one:

    http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/safari-jacket-022013

    And hoping I can find some washed silk for it . . .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs