Today's post is a two-for-one. I'm reviewing both McCall's 6885 and Vogue 8927. Neither pattern was terribly complicated nor required massive amounts of fitting...just a tweak here and there. Both patterns were made up in my most favorite fabric of the moment: chambray!
First up is McCall's 6885 view D:
I actually completed this pattern back in December. I used Chambray Union in Indigo (purchased from Pacific Fabrics) and silver metal buttons (from Stitches). I made a straight size 18 with no alterations. It's loose-fitting without being baggy and shapeless. Although I love the idea of the popover shirt/dress, I wasn't too pleased with the outcome of this pattern. The hem annoys me. From the line drawing I had assumed that the hem was just a regular shirt-tail hem. Instead, the front curves into a deep U-shape and the side seams come up a bit high. How high, you ask? Mid-thigh. I was too busy delighting in how easy the popover was to construct to notice that the hem was wonky. Kris was not impressed with the length of this dress. He claimed he could see my ass peaking out as I walked by...I wore this with fleece tights. Will probably wear with leggings from now on. For future versions, I will change the hem and lengthen it.
Next is Vogue 8927 view E:
Two things annoyed me about this pattern: the placket was too wide...1/2" wider than some of my other shirt patterns. This annoyed me to the point that I almost scrapped this dress. Also, the ends of the collar band are pointed instead of rounded. Argh. When I attached the collar, it just looked weird. I went back and rounded the edges. Aside from that, this pattern was relatively easy. It marked my first time making a long sleeve with a button cuff. It came out okay. I will definitely need to practice that more. Alterations were few on this pattern. I started with a size 16 for the shoulders, 18 for bust and waist grading to a size 20 for the hips. Usually, I don't have to go up a size in the hips, but this dress had a slim fit in the hips. I wanted a bit more wiggle room. Also, I made a 3/8" forward shoulder adjustment, lengthened the hem 2" and added darts to the back for shaping. The fabric is cotton chambray found in the clearance section at Joann. I plan on making this again, possibly with yellow chambray. I may narrow the placket and collar band. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing about this pattern.
Things are busy here in my little sewing room. Tomorrow, I will make a ponte knit shift dress. I have the muslin done for my Boden-inspired Mac coat. I hope to start practicing bound buttonholes for it next week. The mint sateen for my next trench coat should be in next week as well. Like I said, things are busy.