Thursday, February 27, 2014

Review: Butterick 5950

It started with a dress:

Shirred Knit Surplice Dress

I love Land's End. Really, I do. I just think it's a bit pricey. $65 for a rayon jersey dress seems a bit steep to me. Sometimes the quality of Land's End clothing justifies the cost. Other times, no. As much as I loved this dress, it was a bit out of my price range. Also, Land's End dresses have a habit of being too long in the waist for me. I figured I could easily make a dress like this. So, I did.




Initially, I chose New Look 6097 but the pattern required an elastic waistband casing. I loathe elastic waistbands. Since I am so lacking in waist definition (yay rectangle!), elastic waists ride up on me or they create weird bulges. I wish I could make them work for me as I've seen quite a few cute patterns. Alas, it was not meant to be. It did cross my mind to take in the waist or to grade down to a smaller size. But New Look doesn't like nesting the patterns in order. No, that would be too much like right. I started to lose interest in this pattern. I wanted an easy make. Cut out and sew. That's all I wanted to do.

So, I used Butterick 5950 view C (view B sleeves) instead. I combined it with the skirt from Vogue 8944.




I bought the kelly green ponte knit from Pacific Fabrics. It was my Valentine's present from Kris. I made a size 20 for the bodice and a size 16 for the skirt.  The wrap front bodice has good coverage with no gaping. I left the back seam just in case I needed to make adjustments as I sewed. Skipped the zipper. I was shocked at how quickly I sewed it up. I added a tie belt just like my inspiration dress. Not sure if I like it or not.



Overall, it was a pretty simple make. Another frankenpattern win.

7 comments:

  1. Looks good! I'm sensing you are going through a "green period" in your sewing, as am I. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute dress! And your green ponte is making me want to go spend money that I shouldn't spend at Pacific Fabrics--I love that color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! It's only $9.99 yd and all fabric is 20% off until March 3.

      Delete
  3. I think you did a great job. The sleeve seam looks spot on. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a pretty dress, and I love the colors you choose!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs