Sunday, February 23, 2014

Work Wardrobe: Plans

First and foremost, thanks for all the helpful suggestions on yesterday's post. I'm actually looking forward to creating a work wardrobe. I will admit though, after shifting through my pattern stash, I became quite overwhelmed. There's a bunch of ideas running through my head but I need a clear plan in order to actually achieve anything. So, I headed over to Pinterest and looked for some wardrobe capsules for inspiration.




I love wardrobe capsules. It really simplified things for me. My plan was to pick one and imitate it. Then, I would build on it here and there. I would know how to coordinate (thanks to the wardrobe capsule) and it would save me time and potential sewing distractions. I picked this one via Pinterest. I think it best suits my current wardrobe needs. Also, I have almost all the fabric needed in my stash already. Win.

from BlaaaBlaaa.com
After some stash shopping, I know what fabric/patterns I plan to use for the white button down, blazer, printed day dress, lady-like blouse and the pencil skirt (going with a woven instead of jersey). I also plan on making a pair of pants. Yes, you read that correctly. Pants. It's high time I conquered that fear.

Here are my plans so far:

White button blouse: White cotton poplin. Vogue 8772 view D but with three-quarters length sleeve and cuff. I really don't like wearing long-sleeved shirts. I end up rolling up the sleeves anyway.

Blazer:  Black ponte knit. Butterick 5926 view A minus the trim. There could be a knit cardigan or two in my future. I have to look through my closet at the 20+ cardigans I already own and see what colors I need. But knit blazer first since I don't already have one.

Printed day dress: Black/white printed ponte knit. Going with a wrap dress for this one. I like McCall's 6884 or Vogue 8896.

Lady-like blouse: Polka dot rayon georgette. I bought this fabric last night and I'm in love. I plan on combining Butterick 5890 view C with the tie neck from McCall's 6793 view A. I figure that I could dress this down with jeans, a cardigan and flats for a more casual look.

Pencil skirt: Black cotton poplin. New Look 6107 view D. I made this skirt last year but never blogged about it. There were a couple of fit issues but I had no idea what to do about them at the time. Now that I know how to fix them, this skirt will probably become a TNT pattern. I also want to add some flair to my wardrobe and make another pencil skirt using Vogue 8363.

Pants: McCall's 6757 or Simplicity 1696. I'm leaning towards 6757 as it doesn't have a fly-front zipper (but I would move the zipper to the side). To me, it makes more sense to pick something simple to construct so that I can focus on my fit issues instead of trying to tackle those and a new-to-me zipper application. But we'll see. This will be an on-going project that I will squeeze in between other items on my list.

I do want to add a black, charcoal (I have lightweight charcoal wool suiting), or navy (I have navy wool crepe) sheath dress, pleated skirt and a shirt dress but those will be in the second wave of wardrobe sewing. Also, I have three other colors of poplin in my stash so there will be more than one button down shirt in my future.

This list is my no means static. I may change out a pattern or two but I think I have a pretty good shot at accomplishing this list if I try not to deviate too much from it. Pants pattern suggestions are welcome as well as tutorials on pants fitting.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great start to a fabulous wardrobe. It'll be fun to follow along with you as you create it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I love wardrobe planning! Lovely ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got out of wardrobe sewing for a while to focus on sewing with the wind. =) However after reading this post, I think I will work on my work wardrobe as well. This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs