Tuesday, March 4, 2014

I left my wallet in Puyallup.

Sunday I made the trek south to Puyallup for the Sewing & Stitchery Expo. This marked my first time ever going to a sewing expo. I was excited. It was raining and there was a bit of fog. Of course, no one in this area knows how to drive in it despite that fact that the weather is like this 90% of the time. I encountered six car wrecks during my journey there and back home. Sheesh.

Aside from that, I had no idea what to expect at the sewing expo. Mostly I wanted to buy fabric and a notion or two. Seriously. That's all. I didn't sign up for classes or anything like that. Clearly, I have a one-track mind. I wore my Minty Fresh Trench and got a few compliments. *blushes* I am seriously in love with that coat.

I wandered around for a bit, taking everything in. A lot of booths were centered around quilting, which I have no interest in whatsoever. Just because I made one baby quilt doesn't mean I want to do it all the time. While I admired some of the craftsmanship, I did so in passing. Apparel fabric was on my mind.





Then I happened upon the Vogue Fabrics booth. I was overwhelmed and giddy, however, I did manage to keep calm. I didn't have a set budget. I knew not to go overboard or I'd have some explaining to do once I got home. After Vogue Fabrics, I wandered around some more--into another building with booths. I bought some floral sateen from a booth filled with expensive cashmere and wool suitings and Italian shirtings.

Once my fabric shopping was done, I looked around a bit more. Then I ate a fair scone (delicious) and called it a day. I was there about 1 1/2 hours. By that point the crowd was getting on my nerves. Never been a fan of crowds.

As long as Vogue Fabrics has a booth, I will probably always find time to visit the sewing expo. But enough talk, here's some pictures:


click to enlarge

These are both cotton sateens. I bought the left one from Vogue. The right one is from the aforementioned wool suitings booth. The Vogue sateen will likely become a pencil skirt or maybe even a pleated skirt. I've become quite enamored with this Kate Spade skirt. The floral sateen is lightweight enough for a button-down shirt.

click to enlarge


Both of these are from Vogue. The left is rayon challis. The right is a silky polyester. I decided that I needed more prints in my wardrobe. The challis will become a fit and flare dress of some sort. Not sure if I want to go gathered or pleated with the skirt. The bow print will become a blouse but I'm not sure of the pattern yet.

click to enlarge

Finally, we have my last two Vogue purchases: a soft yellow stretch cotton and another silky polyester. I love the yellow cotton and it will become a shirt dress. The red butterfly print...I'm not sure. Honestly, I'm not even sure as to why I bought it. I'm not a fan of red. I'm not a fan of butterfly prints. Kris said it's because of Portlandia. We've been watching it and apparently some twee slipped into my brain. Oh well. I'll figure out a use for it.

That's it. Not too big of a haul but just enough to keep me busy for the next month or two.

6 comments:

  1. Haha, got to watch that twee slip - if it's not butterflies it will be owls or foxes! Nice haul :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I love expo's, the big one in London is coming up in two weeks and I need to make a list of things to get and set a budget. The first time I went I was too overwhelmed to buy much and the second time I was too excited and bought A LOT. Love the bow print and I'm sure you'll find something good to make out of the butterfly one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree--driving conditions were awful on Sunday. If you're ever in the Chicago area, make time to visit the big Vogue store in Evanston--you won't be disappointed. Also, if you haven't already done so, it's totally worth it to do a day trip down to Portland for fabric shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got some nice fabrics! I will be sure to stop by the Vogue Fabrics booth in the Atlanta expo. I will be taking two classes, and this will be my first time attending. I really wish they would take this same concept and do a big fashion sewing expo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed the expo this year. I really needed some fusible bias binding. your fabrics are fabulous. g

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you had a good time! I've been to the Sewing Expo on the East Coast and spent quite a bit of time at the Vogue Fabrics booth so I understand how you lingered there. However, I'd like to encourage you to take some classes at the next one. You will be glad that you did!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs