Monday, March 10, 2014

Work Wardrobe: Progress Report

I think I may be on the brink of sewing burnout. Yesterday I was knee-deep in disappointing muslins. One showed potential, but the rest were a colossal waste of time. I also suffered from pencil skirt failure. I may need to take a break.

My work wardrobe is coming along. I now can cross three things off of my list. The pencil skirt has been swapped for an A-line skirt. This doesn't count as my review. Just a progress report.




First up, my lady-like blouse and A-line skirt. It wasn't until after I photographed these that I realized I forgot to raise the height of my dress form. Oops. The skirt actually hits me mid-knee, not ankle.

The blouse is a combination of Butterick 5890 view C with the tie neck from McCall's 6793 view A. The skirt is New Look 6843 view A.

click to enlarge

 Here's a close up view of the blouse:

click to enlarge


Next, is my printed day dress. I used OOP Butterick 5454 with a modified Kwik Sew 3489 skirt. I love this wrap dress with all my heart. I can happily say that this is now my official knit wrap dress TNT pattern.

click to enlarge

After evaluating my wardrobe, I found that I am in desperate need of more blouses and shirts. I will be honest and say that I loathe most jersey knit tops except t-shirts. I'm more of a woven shirt person. However, since I love ponte knit so damn much, I might as well make some tops with it. Makes sense to me. I'm also on the hunt for a TNT button down shirt pattern. Simplicity 1538 looks like a contender. Please do not suggest the Archer. Thank you.

I may deviate from my work wardrobe plans for a bit to make a couple of dresses. I made a muslin of the Emery dress bodice and it looks promising. I haven't been able to say that about an indie pattern in a really long time. There are also a couple of Butterick dresses that I've been dying to make. But we'll see. I have some non-sewing things to do this week.

13 comments:

  1. I miss wearing pretty clothes to work :(

    I am LOVING that top! It looks so pretty and the bow is nice and delicate. Love the print too :) I like that Simplicity shirt with the slight gather at the back and the plackets/cuffs. I am moving on to Vogue 8772 which has vertical darts and bust darts.

    Love your wrap dress too. I am a huge, huge fan of wrap dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made V8772 before (never blogged) and it's a great shirt pattern. I like that the placket is just folded over instead of being separate. Much faster to sew. Can't wait to see your version.

      Delete
  2. I need more info on your wrap. I'm not perfect at fitting but if you ever want to get together to work on the pencil skirt, let me know. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post a review soon-ish. Hopefully the sun will be out tomorrow so I can pictures. I definitely want help on the pencil skirt. I'll send you an email soon to set something up. Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. I am still on the hunt for a TNT wrapped dress. My attempt at Vogue 8379 was the failiest fail of all. Thanks for pointing out B5454. I have this pattern and will give it a try. Too bad about the muslins; at least you know those patterns aren't wroth any more time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I love your frankpatterned top. I want more girlie tops!

      Delete
    2. I thought about trying V8379 but I always felt kind of blah about it.

      Delete
  4. These will be wonderful additions to your work wardrobe. I love the top, and the dress is also pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing worse than a string of disappointing makes - it totally saps ones sewjo! Your little blouse and the wrap dress look like winners though! Sorry no suggestions on a shirt pattern - maybe burda might have something?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your bow top! So pretty! Love your wrap dress too.

    For shirt patterns, I like the Pattern Runway Pussy Bow Blouse. I've made it 3 times and plan more. And I can give a negative recommendation for the Burda Emily blouse (download) - I made it last year and aside from having a really crazy fit, it also has goofy big collar points and stupidly wide cuffs - even the "normal" cuff (it comes with a super-wide cuff option also). Mine got worn once - I could only stand it for about two hours, and then it went into the donation pile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a woven person too - knits are for casual/exercise wear in my opinion. LOVE your three new things, especially the fab blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new bow tied blouse. I've really been wanting to make some woven blouses too so will be following along with interest. If I may make a suggestion, try adding some seams to your back pattern piece on the pencil skirt, you might end up with a better fit that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bow tie blouse. So femine and flattering.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs