Sunday, April 13, 2014

Review: Butterick 5016

Yay! It's sunny! This weekend has been gorgeous. I spent yesterday in Puyallup at the Washington State Fair with Kris. I rode two roller coasters. This is a big deal since I've never done that before. Seriously. I am a wuss.

I had so much fun that my glasses broke in the process:

Boo. Hiss. Boo.




After being terrified shitless in 3 minute bursts for 4 1/2 hours yesterday,  I feel a bit rejuvenated. So much so that I took some photos of my latest dress: Butterick 6016.




I made view A minus the pockets. Honestly, the pockets were so small that they would have been useless. I made a straight size 20 with my now-standard 3/8" forward shoulder adjustment. I could have gone down a size at the waist but I got the lazy and just made a tie belt. I shortened the french darts 1". The front neckline was lowered 1". Next time I will go down another 1" as the neckline was still a bit high. I also skipped on the lining. Initially, I wanted to do a full lining but my sewing mojo was waning, so I drafted an all-in-one facing instead.




The fabric is cotton sateen purchased two years from Metro Textiles in NYC. I bought 4 yards of it for really cheap due to the dye boo boo running down the center of the fabric. This made finding a pattern for this fabric challenging. Whichever pattern I used couldn't have incredibly large pieces. Intentional pattern matching was also a no-go. This is why the fabric languished in my stash for so long. This dress was perfect. The back skirt has two pieces, front skirt has three.

Butterick 6016 was easy to fit and sew. Although it is sleeveless and I try to avoid that, I think it looks cute. Some of the fabric managed to match up without my help. It's weird how that works out sometimes.

This pattern will be used again as soon I find the perfect fabric.

My next project will be a shirt dress. I'm going to muslin McCall's 6506 today. If all goes well it will be made with this fabric:

Polka dot tencel denim from Cali Fabrics

Yay! It's Spring.

9 comments:

  1. Cute dress!! OOOh that tencel looks fantastic. Perfect for a shirt dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, very cute dress. Love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dress. I like how it looks as if the flowers are wrapping around the torso. What kind of shoes will you wear with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about the shoes. Usually I just throw on my Dansko clogs (Harlow in black: https://www.dansko.com/Search/?searcher=Harlow) but I think this dress needs something nicer. I'm open to suggestions...

      Delete
    2. My initial thought was a wedge - not too matchy-matchy. I'm not good with styling, though. =)

      Delete
  4. Your dress is so pretty!! And yes to spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new dress - so spring-like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was just about to say how much I liked the way the flowers are placed. It looks so pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs