Sunday, April 20, 2014

Review: It's Moneta!

So, by now you've heard that Colette released two new patterns: Moneta and Mabel.

I will admit that initially I was underwhelmed. Then I saw the collar extras and was swayed. I needed a quick sewing win as my sewing mojo fades in and out.

I don't have a stash of knits so I had to take a trip to Pacific Fabrics for some french terry. I've never sewn french terry before. I will have to do it again asap. I feel like I'm wearing a nightgown all day. Very comfy.






This dress sewed up quickly. I made an XL. I didn't make too many adjustments. I made a 1/2" forward shoulder adjustment. Also, I added 1" to the waist. The finished measurement seemed a bit small, even for a knit, so I added 1". This turned out to be unnecessary. I also cut a size L sleeve instead of the XL. I measured the XL sleeve and it seemed a bit wide for a knit sleeve. Next time I will add a bit to the L sleeve. It was a bit slim.



Overall, I like this pattern. The directions were adequate for a beginner. I didn't really need them. I attempted to gather the skirt with the clear elastic. That was fiddly for no reason. I gathered the skirt like normal. I will attempt the clear elastic trick next time.

The instructions don't mention stabilizing the shoulder seams or the neckline, all the focus seemed to be on the waist. You need to stabilize all of these, especially the neckline if you plan on using any of the collars. I used knit stay tape purchased here or you can buy it here. I also used stitch witchery on all the hems.

I really love this dress and plan on making many, many more. I have some emerald/jade ponte knit (a recent fabric win from Hancock Fabrics) just waiting to be cut. I plan on adding a collar this time around.

*I want to send a special shout-out to the lovely gMarie for taking the photos in her gorgeous yard. Thank you!*

10 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic dress and you looked fabulous and comfortable. I had a good time this afternoon - I hope you got to sew up v.2 of your pencil. I got the dress done, but for the hem. Darn family dinners ;)

    g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! The color is perfect and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I almost finished a Moneta this weekend (just need to hem the skirt), and I agree with you completely on all of your impressions re: sizing, stabilization, clear elastic, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the color you chose, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful color!

    I really enjoy your blog and so I have nominated your for a Liebster Award!

    Check it out http://getmystitchon.blogspot.com/2014/04/leibster-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I was wondering if you lined the top in french terry or something else? I wanted to make this out of french terry also, but thought lining it in the same fabric may make the top a bit bulky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didnt line it. You can try using lightweight jersey knit or jet set knit from Joann woukd work.

      If you're planning on using sleeves, I wouldn't line it unless your french terry is kind of thin.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful dress. How do you stabilize the dress without the elastic? I'm still relatively new to sewing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Pellon Easy Knit tape. I fused thin strips to the bottom of the bodice (wrong side) before attaching the skirt. You can also use the fusible knit stay tape I mentioned in the blog post. Not sure how others do it, but this method works for me. Happy sewing!

      Delete
  8. Love your version of the dress!!! Also I agree about stabilising the shoulder seams. When I made my Moneta, instead of using stabilising tape, I used a zig zag stitch to attach the clear elastic to one of the shoulder seams before sewing the back and front shoulder seams in the overlocker/serger.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs