So, by now you've heard that Colette released two new patterns: Moneta and Mabel.
I will admit that initially I was underwhelmed. Then I saw the collar extras and was swayed. I needed a quick sewing win as my sewing mojo fades in and out.
I don't have a stash of knits so I had to take a trip to Pacific Fabrics for some french terry. I've never sewn french terry before. I will have to do it again asap. I feel like I'm wearing a nightgown all day. Very comfy.
This dress sewed up quickly. I made an XL. I didn't make too many adjustments. I made a 1/2" forward shoulder adjustment. Also, I added 1" to the waist. The finished measurement seemed a bit small, even for a knit, so I added 1". This turned out to be unnecessary. I also cut a size L sleeve instead of the XL. I measured the XL sleeve and it seemed a bit wide for a knit sleeve. Next time I will add a bit to the L sleeve. It was a bit slim.
Overall, I like this pattern. The directions were adequate for a beginner. I didn't really need them. I attempted to gather the skirt with the clear elastic. That was fiddly for no reason. I gathered the skirt like normal. I will attempt the clear elastic trick next time.
The instructions don't mention stabilizing the shoulder seams or the neckline, all the focus seemed to be on the waist. You need to stabilize all of these, especially the neckline if you plan on using any of the collars. I used knit stay tape purchased here or you can buy it here. I also used stitch witchery on all the hems.
I really love this dress and plan on making many, many more. I have some emerald/jade ponte knit (a recent fabric win from Hancock Fabrics) just waiting to be cut. I plan on adding a collar this time around.
*I want to send a special shout-out to the lovely gMarie for taking the photos in her gorgeous yard. Thank you!*