Sunday, June 22, 2014

Review: Vogue 1395

I picked up Vogue 1395 when it was released a couple months ago. It looked interesting to me but I was sure that it wouldn't work because of the elastic waist. I hate elastic waists. Anyway, I put it in the pattern box and forgot about it.

Vogue 1395



Then Wednesday, I saw this version. Then I googled and found this one. I had to have this dress in my life asap.



I had some poly crepe de chine from Girl Charlee in my stash. Initially, I had planned to remake my yellow dress from last year. So glad I didn't. So very glad. This fabric was perfect for Vogue 1395. I hope Girl Charlee continues to sell poly crepe de chine in cute prints because I will buy all of it.  It was so easy to work with.



This project was a joy to sew from start to finish. The pattern instructions do suffer from "Vogue Vague" a few times but nothing too egregious. I did make a muslin out of some leftover pongee (had to match the drape) and didn't incur any problems. Adjustments were made but were few:

  • 3/8" Forward shoulder adjustment
  • Raised v-neckline 1"
  • Added 1" to hem
  • Added 1" flare to skirt 
  • Raised the armscye 1"

I want to make this again (I would happily make at least 2 more) and live in them for the rest of the summer. There's also another Vogue pattern (V8970) that inspires the same amount of glee but that review will come later.

It was nice to break away from the more fitted styles that I usually sew. I need to spice up my sewing: try different styles, add details and use more prints. Next up is Vogue 1394. Since I've had such good luck with Vogue lately, I figure I should give this one a try. 

13 comments:

  1. This is very nice. How did the elastic waist turn out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice. Very comfy. I like that it's covered by the overlay/ties. Without them, it looks frumpy.

      Delete
  2. I might have to give this one another look - you are right, it is very cute! I've got some rayon batik in my stash that would make a glorious summer dress . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made mine this weekend too! It seems like this pattern is taking over this month lol
    Nice fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Mind if we share this in our social media? Email us at Facebook@voguepatterns.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty fabric; love the colors. You've convinced me to take a second look at this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! The ties make this dress. I hate elastic waists too, they look really matronly on me. But with these ties this dress has a totally different look. I may have to pick this one up. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this dress too and had some issues. I couldn't figure out how to attach the layers at the shoulders, the instructions made no sense to me! The other issue I had was that the ties from the overlay seemed very short. I have a proportional waist to bust and hip so I have no idea what happened, but I had to sew some scraps on to the ends of the ties to make it work. Glad to hear you had no problems with this, your version is cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The instructions for the overlay confused me too. I just kept shifting things around until it looked like the diagram.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs