Sunday, July 27, 2014

Shirt dress: Obsess much?

So, last month I purchased some cotton shirting from JoAnn (see this post) with the hopes of making a shirt dress. I couldn't decide between Simplicity 2246 or McCall's 6506. I chose neither. Why? I just wasn't feeling S2246 and I'm waiting for the right fabric to come along for M6506. I had a third option, a vintage pattern I found on etsy, Butterick 4698:




I loved the tie belt. The 70s collar, not so much.


I made a muslin and it was a failure, mostly due to the darts. You see, I've suffered from an alarming amount of "dart fail" lately. Argh. Anyway, I was annoyed and tossed my shirting fabric off to the side. A couple of weeks later while digging through my pattern bin, I came across Simplicity 2339. I had forgotten that I had already modified the pattern (turned it into a dress) and muslined it. I never made it -- I think I was waiting for the perfect fabric.

Well, the shirting turned out to be the perfect fabric. And since I was so in love with the tie belt from B4698, I decided to add it.


 
 I can't quite remember all of the adjustments that I made to Simplicity 2339 as I made them over a year ago:
  • The shirt was extended 16" from the hem to make it a knee-length dress.
  • I made it A-line.
  • I made view A, size 20 C cup but I should have made the shoulders a size 18. I also included the back darts.
  • The sleeves were shortened 11 1/4".
The shirting was fabulous to sew. I wish JoAnn carried more shirtings like this one. It was soft, yet crisp, not too thin and 100% cotton.

Just look at that collar/placket. Not too shabby.

Will I sew this one again? YES. It is absolute perfection.



Believe it or not, I still have plans for more shirt dresses. They are my favorite after all.

12 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic, you should get a heap of wear out of this

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous. I can't believe that was a shirt pattern. it's truly fantastic! g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shirtdress! I especially like the contrasting buttons. Thanks for giving new life to S2339. It's a pattern that's been on my radar for a while, but I've hesitated in making it because of the darted front. How do you like them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the different cup sizes was great. I tried both the C and D cup so I didn't have to worry too much about adjusting darts.They hit at the right spot. I usually have good luck with darts on Simplicity patterns.

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous! I love everything about it and you will love wearing it I bet!

    I *just* got my eBay purchased copy of S2339 Saturday! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your version. You've made some very lovely shirts.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful dress! Love the fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous dress! You did an amazing job adapting this from that blouse pattern. The tie belt really adds something extra to it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my! This is sooooooo lovely! You make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll second that...absolute perfection! And wha-hut? You don't like seventies collars, LOL? Nice to meet another PNW sewer. I'm up in Vancouver CA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good, Neemie! I love the belt and fabric. Looks so professionally done too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs