Monday, September 29, 2014

It's been a while.

Hmm. It has been a while since I last blogged. It's not like I haven't been sewing, I just didn't feel like blogging. Here's what I've been up to, via instagram:




Not too shabby. Eventually, I will post a review of some of these dresses.


Fall is officially here and I am so glad. I'm not a fan of summer. I like rain and clouds and coolness. This is why I'm happier in Seattle than Texas (one of many, many reasons). In fact, a year ago yesterday Kris and I began our trek across the country. Good times.

Anyway, I'm in the thick of fall sewing. I have a stack of ponte knit just begging to be sewn. Of course, I had all these brilliant ideas when I purchased the fabric. Once it showed up, all I wanted to do was snuggle it then over-think potential projects. Sigh.

Honestly, I'm waiting for the Grainline Studio Alder/Archer tutorial to show up. I've waited almost two months for this tutorial. I want to make view B badly but I absolutely loathe sleeveless dresses. Many different techniques and tricks have been tried to make it work on my own to no avail. I need sleeves.

Back to fall sewing...I have lots of ideas. I want to make a denim skirt. I gave the Style Arc Sally Jean skirt a try but the size I bought was too large.The denim I used was way too stretchy. You can guess what resulted from that combination. If anyone fits into the size 18 measurements, let me know. There could be a free pattern in your future.

I bought a smaller size; then a week later Mimi G. posted a free video tutorial for a denim skirt using McCall's 6361. I would have never given that pattern a second glance had it not been for the tutorial. I have to learn how to look past terrible pattern envelopes and focus on the line drawings. Now I really want to make McCall's 6361.

Next, I want to make another shirt dress. This time with a hidden button placket. Not one of those "fly front" button things (example: Butterick 5897) . I hate those. I'm using Kwik Sew 2849 for guidance. Threads also has an article how to draft it yourself. I will use my trusty Simplicity 2339 for the bodice but subbing a pleated skirt (McCall's 6696 or 6506). It's going to be so awesome. I can't wait.

I tried McCall's 6696 and suffered major dart fail. I see a bust fitting Craftsy class in my future. It was sad because I really liked the pattern (just like everyone else).

That's enough rambling for now. I will continue to lurk blogs and post on instagram. Perhaps I'll even post a review. Eventually.


9 comments:

  1. I was wondering where you were in blogland!

    Love all the dresses you've made and like you an too busy snuggling my new ponte to sew it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun plans! I will look for your makes on instragam! Blogging can be such a chore sometimes. Sew first, Post whenever is a fine way to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're back! Love the new website banner too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dresses look lovely. Glad to see you back in the blogosphere. Ponte seems to be the go to fabric this fall. Lots of bloggers talking about it. I think the prices have gone up too--the old supply and demand technique, I guess. I'm lining up some ponte projects myself. Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are back! And I'm sorry the Style Arc jeans skirt didn't work for you, but I am intrigued by the McCalls skirt. I might have to give that another look. I want to make a green corduroy skirt for the fall, and that might be a good pattern to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That wrap dress with the diamond fabric is gorgeous!! I'm glad you posted, though you have been sewing behind the scenes. Blogging IS hard work! Best wishes on sewing some of your ponte. I love ponte!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see you blogging again. You certainly have been productive. I love your dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry that skirt didn't work for you. I'm an 18! I would love to try it. I'm willing you trade you a pattern for it. Let me know!

    Also, I'd love to pick your brain on Seattle. We are working on moving there! Love Cali but the cost of living is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs