Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Time for a Maxi dress

I will admit that I'm not really a fan of maxi dresses. I've made a few but every time I regretted the effort. I'm affectionately referred to as the "furnace"; always hot, always complaining about being hot.  So why I made a long dress that prevents air flow from my legs is beyond me. Perhaps I'm a bit of a masochist.

Once again, thanks to Melizza for taking the pictures...




I used Simplicity 1064, a wrap tunic with elastic waist and wrapped mullet hem. I loathe mullet hems. There was no way in hell I would bother with that, so I lengthened view C but used short sleeves. I don't remember how much length I added. I'm 5'8" for reference.





As far as fitting adjustments -- mine were minimal. There was my usual 3/8" forward shoulder adjustment and I took a small wedge out of the neckline to prevent gaping. I also followed Gertie's twill tape method, using stay tape in place of the twill tape.




The fabric is a lightweight polyester crepe from Joann. It was shifty when cutting but sewed up beautifully.


Crepe Geo Circle Silky Print

Overall, I'm happy with the dress but it's been too hot here in Seattle to wear it without sweating. I could blame the polyester but I've made maxi dresses with cotton lawn and still had hot flashes.

Summer just needs to end already.

9 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous on you! Wait until fall and then you can wear it comfortably. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pretty dress and Melizza took great pics! Don't worry it will be fall soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall is on its way and it can get plenty of wear then. Its too cute not to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it a lot! And I'm with you--I'm so over this summer. I don't run particularly hot, but it's been too hot for even me to wear my maxi- anythings this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! it's a great dress and that second photo with your face in the mirror - beautiful!! g

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice dress. You look lovely. Great job! See me @ www.sewplus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! I hope you've been able to wear it lately. It's been a bit brisk. Brrr... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I my opinion this dress looks great on you! Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs