Saturday, January 2, 2016

And now for something completely different...

Every year, my job combines the quarterly business review meeting with Halloween. I dressed up in 2014 but my heart wasn't in it. My costume was last-minute and I felt awkward the entire time. For Halloween 2015, I vowed to change all that.

And by "change", I meant "go completely overboard for a work function".

I honestly don't remember how I landed on Xena Warrior Princess as my costume of choice. I found a lot of cosplay ideas but I wanted to avoid designing/franken-patterning if possible. In my search for ideas, I came across this pattern:

Butterick 5725


I found it on ebay. I also found the Simplicity non-licensed version which I also bought.

Butterick 5725 had all the details, right down to the boot covers. The only thing I didn't like was that you were to draw the chest plate directly onto the dress with paint. My hand wasn't that steady. Lucky for me, there was craft foam and plenty of cosplay tutorials.

Side note: I now have a new appreciation for cosplay. I had no idea of the level of work and detail that goes into costume. I also did not know you could do all that stuff with craft foam.

Anyway, I made the chest and back plates and knee pads with craft foam. This was the most time-consuming part of the costume. I painted several layers of white glue then acrylic paint on each piece. I used  gold Tulip 3-D fabric paint to add details. Once finished, they were glued to the dress and boots with E6000 glue (my most favorite glue of all time). I used brown stretchy pleather from Joann for entire costume. I bought a pair of brown boots.

For all the other details (arm bands, wrist guards, epaulets, skirt details) I used Tulip paint. I used transfer paper to trace the designs onto the pleather and then went over them with the paint. Easy peasy.



I used craft foam for my chakram, following the same steps as I did for the chest plates. I bought a kid's craft foam sword from Joann and painted it to coordinate with my costume.

Costume in Progress

Despite all the work, I really enjoyed making my Xena costume. It had been a while since I did anything crafty and didn't realize how much I had missed it. I probably won't do it every year but who knows.



Oh, and there was also a costume contest at the meeting. And yes, I won. *happy dance*

This is what a winner looks like.

Next post will be about how I finally got around to making that moto jacket I was pining over last July. 

3 comments:

  1. This is seriously amazing! Excellent craftsmanship and vision. I come from a city where people are very serious about costuming and I have never made a costume to measure up to that. This year will be different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally deserved that win! This costume is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting with thoughtfulness and maturity.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs